07 May 2014

Seasons of Life - Prayer and Fasting




Prayer:


No matter what season you're in you should be praying. The bible says, "Pray without ceasing" (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Prayer is a necessity for daily living, especially for the crazy times we are living in. We need God's protection, discernment and wisdom. You can pray anywhere at any time, that's the beauty of prayer. I think we also forget that there is power in our prayers! The bible says, "The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much" (James 5:16). The question is how should you pray when going through difficult seasons? 

Sometimes we have no clue what we should be praying when going through difficult seasons. We are quick to pray prayers that come from our hurt and pain because we don't understand what's going on and we want it to be over with. Many times our prayers are not answered right away because we pray incorrectly. When you are going through difficult seasons you want to pray the will of God. Trust me, I know whatever you are going through hurts like hell. All you want is for God to remove the pain and change the situation ASAP! But is that the type of prayer God is looking for? Most times the painful, challenging seasons you face will be to strengthen you in certain areas, build your faith, and develop Godly fruit such as patience, love, self-control and moreClick on more. God has a purpose for your life. Every season you experience, good or difficult - will not go to waste.

As you spend time with God reading and meditating on his word, the Lord will open your eyes and allow you to understand the season that you're in. Once you understand what is taking place in your life, you will know how to approach God in prayer. Your prayer will no longer be, God take this away from me! Your prayer will be, Yes Lord, have your way in me, I trust you, order my steps, I can do nothing without you. Then you will start to take whatever actions needed to move you through that season. 

When the Lord revealed to me what I was dealing with in the area of spiritual warfare, I needed God to fight my battle therefore I needed to pray accordingly. I could not pray sad pitiful prayers anymore. I began to pray your will be done Lord, not mine. I prayed for wisdom to handle things God's way. I prayed and spoke God's word with boldness. I had to move from fear to faith; that was and still is a process. I cried more tears than you could ever imagine. I cried at work, on the train, at my kids’ sports activities - but through the tears and through the fear I still took action! I used the authority Jesus gave me and began to rebuke and trample over snakes and serpents, in His name. I prophesied and declared those things that were not, as though they were - in Jesus’ name. I worshiped and praised God as I watched him fight my battle. When you pray the will of the Father and trust that he will not forsake you, the end result will always be more awesome than what you could have hoped for or accomplished yourself.

I want to share really quickly on praying in tongues. For those of you who do not speak in tongues, speaking and praying in tongues is not a requirement for getting your prayers answered. It's another wonderful way to communicate with the Lord especially when you run out of words to say in your native tongue. Don't feel bad if you can't speak in tongues, just ask the Father for it and when He's ready for it to manifest in your life it will. 

I love to sing and pray in tongues. My spirit enjoys it. After I've prayed for everything under the sun and that lasts about a good fifteen minutes, I'm like ok - what do I pray for now? The bible says,

The Holy Spirit helps us in our weaknesses. For example, we don't know what God wants us to pray for, but the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. The father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God's own will.

- Romans 8:26 


 

The Holy Spirit knows exactly what to say to our heavenly Father. When you pray in tongues, you don't have to feel like, oh I forgot to mention this or that to God. The Holy Spirit searches the secret places of your heart and mind and the Lord gets to know all about the things that concern you. Not only are we able to express our concerns to God through tongues, in return our Spirit man is edified by the Lord. You may not have a clue as to what you prayed about or what the Lord said to you but your Spirit does. Once your Spirit receives instruction from the Lord He will guide you in every step you need to take. Overall you will feel strengthened, encouraged and ready to face the season you are in.

 

Fasting:

Is not this the fast that I have chosen? To loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?


- Isaiah 56:6


 

There are various reasons why people fast. A fast can be taken for sanctification, to get your prayers heard on high and to break the chains of spiritual wickedness. Fasting and prayer coupled together can be powerful and very effective, but your motives must be right. Is there a purpose to your fast? What are you looking for God to do? If what you are praying and fasting for is going to benefit the Kingdom of God, the Lord just might answer your prayer. If you are going through a challenging season and you feel compelled to fast, then you should. Every believer will fast at some point in their walk with Christ. If you are experiencing a situation that is evil, wicked and demonic you NEED to fast. Jesus said, "This kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting" (Matthew 17:21). Prayer and fasting are spiritual weapons that God has provided for us to use, and I can tell you personally, they work! The length and type of fast to take is up to you and God. A true biblical fast is 24 hours no food, no water. I purchased this book God's Chosen Fast in 2006 and I still refer to it today. It's a very informative book on fasting. Click on the link, you may find the information in this book helpful to you. 

I will leave you with these two scriptures from Jesus with a promise attached:

When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secretand your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. - Matthew 6:5-6

Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face so that your fasting will not be noticed by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. - Matthew 6:16-18

Could the reward Jesus is talking about be answered prayer? hmmmmm...

 

Next post, Enter Into God's Rest!

 

Blessings,

Tytenisha

 

 

1 comment:

  1. […] way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. – Psalm 139:23-24   Next post will be on Prayer and Fasting.     Blessings, Tytenisha     Categories: PLC Blog, […]

    ReplyDelete