16 October 2012

Why I Went Natural

"Chemical Free Naturally Me"


MY BIG CHOP


The first thing my friends ask when they see my kinky curly hair is, what made you go natural?  The second is, how did you get your hair like that?  I don't mind answering the questions because I absolutely LOVE talking about natural hair.  I would like to share my hair journey with you.



Why I went natural: I decided to go natural after 22 years of relaxing because my hair became extremely thin and began breaking off terribly in the back of my head.  All I wanted was healthy hair.  I watched a lot of You Tube (and still do) to educate myself on natural hair care.

I transitioned for 12 months which means I did not relax or touch up my hair during this period.  I had to nurse my hair back to health by doing weekly deep conditions, moisturising, and not applying heat to my hair.

November 17, 2011, I decided to do the BC (big chop).  Late at night while stalking You Tube lol! I got inspired and cut off my permed ends.  I was left with 5 inches of hair on my head and I loved it!!!

My hair texture: My hair is very thick.  The front right side is tightly coiled, the left side has a loose curl pattern and the back side is coarse.

My favorite hairstyle: It's called the "Twist Out".  I'll put 7 twists in my hair at night and unravel them in the morning.                                                  

Twist Out


My hair regimen: I deep condition my hair weekly with Aubrey Organics Protein Conditioner (UPDATE: this conditioner is no longer available).  I shampoo my hair with Pantene relaxed & natural shampoo.  I apply Giovanni's direct leave-in conditioner to damp hair.  I seal in the moisture by using my Shea butter mix which consists of raw Shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, black jamaican castor oil, and avocado oil.  I never comb when dry!  Water is an absolute must for my thirsty hair.  I always use a wide tooth comb when detangling.


Hair products I use


Benefits of Going Natural:

Versatility: I can easily wear my hair in a different style every day if I want to.  It doesn't matter if my hair gets wet, it needs water every day anyways.  My hair can be worn straight or curly, braided, in bantu knots, twist outs, puffs and buns.  It's wonderful trying new styles.
 
Healthy Hair: The chemical relaxer changed my hair from its natural state and made it conform to straight, limp, lifeless hair.  Of course, that was my choice, not realizing my hair would eventually become damaged.  I finally said good bye to chemical burns and scabs in my scalp and welcomed the thick, beautiful, kinky curls God gave me.
 
Uniquely Me: My natural hair is what I was born with and that alone makes me unique.  My hair texture is different from the next person.  My twist out will look different from someone else's twist out. I get stares all the time, not sure if their good or bad lol!  I've noticed I get more compliments as a natural than when I had long straight hair.  I am Nappturally Beautiful!   


You can find me on Instagram under the name: Tytenisha

Blessings,
Tytenisha

1 comment:

  1. […] HAIR GROWTH”   It’s been almost two years since I posted “Why I Went Natural.” I’m back to update you on my natural hair journey, share some pics, talk about my regimen […]

    ReplyDelete