19 November 2015

Butterfly Experience


I was first introduced to the book Experiencing God about fourteen years ago by my friend Pastor Shawn. She used this book as a study for our young adult group, and ever since it has become one of my favorite books of all time. Two summers ago I had been feeling lost and unclear about where my life was going because anything I attempted to do the doors seemed to be shut. Even in my dreams, God was saying either no or not yet. Finally, I had a dream regarding this book and felt I should read it again for the third time. It gave me peace and reminded me to wait for God to invite me into what he was doing instead of me trying to force something to happen. The book teaches on the different ways we experience God and the ways God speaks to us to confirm his will for our lives. God speaks through people, the bible, prayer, dreams and circumstances. I found out those are not the only ways God speaks to us.

My friend Tiffany would always share with me how God answered or confirmed things she was seeking guidance on through encounters with butterflies. They would show up in random places. Now, I must admit I found this odd at first because I’ve never heard of that before. I didn’t discount it because that was her experience. Well, one morning before heading off to work, I sat in my car and boo-hoo’d like a baby. I mean snots, coughing, and raccoon eye from the runaway mascara - the works! It was absolutely ridiculous. My heart was crying out to God for forgiveness for not spending enough time with him. I was also seeking guidance and confirmation on a book I felt he wanted me to write. All of this stress over a book? Ya’ll just don’t understand. I didn’t want to waste precious time doing something I was not called to do - and then it flops! So, I pulled myself together and walked to the train station so I could get to work.


The train pulls into the station and was pretty empty so I slid into a window seat and we take off. The train comes to a stop before pulling into the next station. As the train sits, a medium sized black and orange butterfly fluttered right outside the window next to me. It was beautiful! I was amazed to see it so close. It continued to flutter for a few more seconds and then took flight. Honestly, no butterfly should have been where it was. I thought about Tiffany, then I remembered what I was sobbing about fifteen minutes earlier and wondered, did I just have an encounter? To me the butterfly represented comfort and freedom.

One month after that experience, I finally got around to reading a book Tiffany sent me titled, “What happens when women say yes to God" by Lysa Terkeurst. I read this book on the train to and from work. At the very beginning of the book the writer shares her journey of becoming an author and the challenges she faced from fear to inadequacy. I thought to myself, wow Lord you must be confirming that I should write my book because this author is speaking volumes to me! Is this you Lord? While walking to my car from the station and pondering over what I read, I spotted a black and orange butterfly fluttering around in circles. I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. I was blown away!! I asked, “Lord, is this you? I need to see one more butterfly” lol!! Why wasn’t that enough for me? God must have been holding his head with both hands like really?? Well, seven days later a black and orange butterfly flew right above my car. Through my sunroof, I watched it soar until it was out of sight. Absolutely amazing!!

I don’t know about you, but I don’t see butterflies that often. It was rare for me to see the same colored butterfly three times. Whelp, I got my confirmation and I wrote my book! I have learned not to keep God in a box. It was truly an amazing experience. I'm constantly looking to see what God is going to do next. There are so many ways to encounter or experience God. If you are focused on one area that you are accustomed to Him speaking in, you’re going to miss out. Keep your mind and eyes open! There may be an amazing encounter waiting for you!  If you’ve had an interesting experience, feel free to share in the comments below.  Here is a link to my book: Confessions of a Praying Woman

Blessings,

Tytenisha

2 comments:

  1. Suzanne Dorsey1/26/17, 4:11 PM

    Thank you Jesus!!! I'm not sure what this all means but I know it is of God. Just a few nights ago I had a dream about a butterfly landing on me and in the dream I was frighten and blew the butterfly off of me. I didn't get it then and still don't but I trust that more will be revealed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sue! Awesome!! It sounds like God to me. Butterflies can also symbolize transition and change. Usually metamorphosing into something beautiful. I pray the Lord continues to reveal more. :-)

    ReplyDelete